At Meynell, we aspire to help our children develop their use of computer technology through a range of learning experiences that are underpinned by our key intentions for learning in this subject, including:
• To equip pupils to use computational thinking and creativity that will enable them to become active participants in the digital community.
• To understand how to use the ever-changing technology to express themselves, as tools for learning, and as a means to aspire to go forward into the future.
• To understand how the growth of technology should be used to promote fairness and equality.
• To develop as respectful, responsible and confident users of technology, aware of measures that can be taken to keep themselves and others safe and healthy online.
• To provide a computing curriculum that is designed to balance acquiring a broad and deep knowledge alongside opportunities to apply skills in various digital contexts.
• To understand the impact of technology on the planet and to develop their understanding in how technology can help conservation of the planet.
Much of children’s experiences with technology are now online. During Computing lessons we teach children how computers connect with each other in networks and how the internet and world wide web works.
In Key stage 1 children use computers to create art, the internet to search for information and learn how to save and retrieve their work.
In Key stage 2 children work online using web based technology to alter digital content on the internet. Children will also ,through blogging and social media platforms, learn to communicate via email and video conferencing and share information through cloud storage.
E Safety is of utmost importance and is reinforced throughout the curriculum.
At Meynell we teach online safety both discreetly and through other subjects. We believe children should be able to see both the positive and negative possibilities of technology in every aspect of life. Our goal is for children to be able to confidently use technology with a full awareness of how to:
- Stay safe when using technology at home and at school.
- Be aware of both the opportunities and the risks and dangers of using technology.
- Protect both their privacy and self image.
- Navigate relationships and communications.
- Protect their and other‘s copyright.
- Pupils know how to stay safe when using technology at school and home.
- Children understand the wider implications of their use of technology.
For more detailed information please visit our policies page.